A magical picture book for Christmas, written in perfect, heartfelt rhyme by Julia Donaldson, bestselling creator of ZogÂ andÂ Superworm.
“Magical ? as well as paying tribute to tradition, the gentle rhythmic verse and stunning pictures illuminate the two other things close to Julia’s heart: the power of children and song” – Good Housekeeping
Deep in a snowy wood stands a little pine tree with a special destiny: when it grows up, it’s going to be the famous Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square!
This is the perfect picture book to snuggle up with and share at Christmas. Gorgeous, atmospheric illustrations whisk you from frozen forests to the sparkling city square in a beautiful, moving story of festivity and hope.
- This gorgeously illustrated hardback book has a gold-foiled dust jacket, making it the perfect Christmas gift for young children
- Julia Donaldson’s perfect rhyme is a joy to read aloud – this is a classic to treasure for generations
- Victoria SandÃ¸y’s exquisite, atmospheric illustrations are full of gorgeous details to point out and share
- A paragraph on the final page of the book explains the true story behind the tree
The Christmas Pine is based on a true story. It celebrates a special tradition that stretches back over seventy years. Every year, the Mayor of Oslo in Norway presents the British people with a spectacular Christmas tree. The tree is a symbol of peace and friendship, and a thank you for the UK’s support during World War II.
Each year, the UK Poetry Society asks a poet to write a poem to welcome the tree. Julia Donaldson originally wrote The Christmas Pine to celebrate the 2020 Christmas tree. The poem was performed by London schoolchildren, and displayed in Trafalgar Square.
Julia Donaldson is the author of many of the best-loved children’s books ever written. She has been awarded a CBE for services to literature, and is the most celebrated children’s writer in Britain today.Â Â Â
Many of Julia Donaldson’s beloved picture books have been made into award-winning animated films which are regularly shown on the BBC at Christmas.
- Superworm animation will premiere on BBC Christmas 2021